2mth 18days
Its quite an unusual way to be counting, but so far, life back in Singapore is still to some extent considered in terms of when I returned from London, which happened to be on 2 Sep. So, well, it would put today as 2mth 18days; which is not exactly a long time or short time, but well, it seems that a lot has changed and a lot has happened in this time period.
One thing, life is singapore seems a lot less intellectual... haha.. which is not neccessarily a bad thing. Here, people don't talk about what is going on with state policies, with political developments, economic trends, social changes or subject matters. At work, its about schedules, personalities, gossips, and little is about even the discussion of work knowledge itself. Outside, I may get some, but that's provided I actually spend much time other than at work.
Leaving London, I felt that I wanted a change, and a break away from this intellectual narrowing of the mind; such that when I sit down to dinner with someone, one of the first thing we talk about is not about what is going on in Westminster or DC, not about the development trens of India or China, not about what is going on in the academic world. Yet, somehow, this 2mths has not been a break, it appears more like an isolation from what is going on. Not that I don't read papers, which I try to continue with my NYT, ST, BBC reading, but somehow, perhaps its the dominance of work itself, that I feel rather dislocated from what is going on around the world. In some way, its also the way this city is. As much as its suppose to be connected to the rest of the world, information about the rest of the world is pretty scarce, especially comments.
WJ misses certain things about London, and if I came up with a list, it would be something like that: 1) Listening to BBC4
2) Walking abour covent gardens and chinatown
3) Spending extremely relaxed weekends with Hock and Lim in Brimingham
4) Talking to people from different backgrounds to learn about different cultures and places
5) Visiting new places to experience different way of lives
6) Meeting new people
7) Dinner and Wine with my hsemates and frens
8) Melogy
Yet, my contradictory nature also wants me to try something different, to take a break from the seriousness, to adapt to a different environment and lifestyle. 2mth is a short time, and I felt just as isolated and lost when I was initially in London.
So, although like WJ, I can come up with a list of things I miss, I actually think that its been alright or quite nice back in Singapore. Yes, I can't have my BBC4 (which is irreplacable), there are other places in Singapore which I have yet to fully explore. Yes, not relaxed days where I have only to worry about catching my train (maybe I'll feel this when I'm on leave... haha..). I get to meet new people in my work, and it been a new experience too. Visiting places, well... time... just a matter of time.
Dinner and Wine.. haha.. yes, its been much too delayed. Suppose to have one this year, will see when I can loh... Maybe Dec bah, will try to figure that out.. and the menu too! haha... unless there is any particular request.
I think my life has changed in some ways and not in others. Well, in some aspects, I lost some parts of life which I truly enjoyed, yet, I also gain some parts of life which has been eye-opening or simply quite wonderful. In some way, I think the nett balance is possibly positive.. haha... and in some ways, I feel my life being more complete.. :)
One thing, life is singapore seems a lot less intellectual... haha.. which is not neccessarily a bad thing. Here, people don't talk about what is going on with state policies, with political developments, economic trends, social changes or subject matters. At work, its about schedules, personalities, gossips, and little is about even the discussion of work knowledge itself. Outside, I may get some, but that's provided I actually spend much time other than at work.
Leaving London, I felt that I wanted a change, and a break away from this intellectual narrowing of the mind; such that when I sit down to dinner with someone, one of the first thing we talk about is not about what is going on in Westminster or DC, not about the development trens of India or China, not about what is going on in the academic world. Yet, somehow, this 2mths has not been a break, it appears more like an isolation from what is going on. Not that I don't read papers, which I try to continue with my NYT, ST, BBC reading, but somehow, perhaps its the dominance of work itself, that I feel rather dislocated from what is going on around the world. In some way, its also the way this city is. As much as its suppose to be connected to the rest of the world, information about the rest of the world is pretty scarce, especially comments.
WJ misses certain things about London, and if I came up with a list, it would be something like that: 1) Listening to BBC4
2) Walking abour covent gardens and chinatown
3) Spending extremely relaxed weekends with Hock and Lim in Brimingham
4) Talking to people from different backgrounds to learn about different cultures and places
5) Visiting new places to experience different way of lives
6) Meeting new people
7) Dinner and Wine with my hsemates and frens
8) Melogy
Yet, my contradictory nature also wants me to try something different, to take a break from the seriousness, to adapt to a different environment and lifestyle. 2mth is a short time, and I felt just as isolated and lost when I was initially in London.
So, although like WJ, I can come up with a list of things I miss, I actually think that its been alright or quite nice back in Singapore. Yes, I can't have my BBC4 (which is irreplacable), there are other places in Singapore which I have yet to fully explore. Yes, not relaxed days where I have only to worry about catching my train (maybe I'll feel this when I'm on leave... haha..). I get to meet new people in my work, and it been a new experience too. Visiting places, well... time... just a matter of time.
Dinner and Wine.. haha.. yes, its been much too delayed. Suppose to have one this year, will see when I can loh... Maybe Dec bah, will try to figure that out.. and the menu too! haha... unless there is any particular request.
I think my life has changed in some ways and not in others. Well, in some aspects, I lost some parts of life which I truly enjoyed, yet, I also gain some parts of life which has been eye-opening or simply quite wonderful. In some way, I think the nett balance is possibly positive.. haha... and in some ways, I feel my life being more complete.. :)
2 Comments:
You are aware that BBC4 is available online?
yupz, i know its online...
just that i don't get much chance to be near the internet, and to actually sit down and listen...
Post a Comment
<< Home