Weekends
Been some time since I last said anything, and although I did mention a few weeks ago, that if I said nothing, its probably because I am not in Singapore, my long period of silence is only partly due to my recent absence from Singapore due to sailing. In some sense, I think the sailing made me either rather too numb to say much, but also, there was much less to talk about. I guess when one spends so much time doing something which one can't talk about, there gets to a point where there is not much that one can say. A workaholic which to some extent I am, works tends to become such a large part of life, that it becomes almost difficult to distinguish where work end and life begins. haha...
I guess, I am still trying to find that balance within myself, of on the one hand enjoying my work which I am seemingly increasingly doing so and also trying to keep it so, yet on the other hand sustain (or maybe to build would be a better word to use) a life involving not just work but also people who care for me and whom I care for. In some sense, is it even human to expect oneself to be able to achieve this balance, and yet on the other, is one even human if one fails to do so? hmm...
Been back in Singapore for abt 7 weekends already, and apart from 2 weekends which I sailed, the other weekends were always filled with things to do and packed with time spent with my frens and family. Never before in my memory, has my weekends been so productive, than in the last 7 weeks. Productive not neccessarily in the sense that I met everyone whom I want to meet, or spent time with everyone whom I should, but its probably has not been any better in the past.
HX asked me whether my parents were alright with my periodic absence from home, where I am home only abt 3 nites a week, and well, I don't think my parents feel much difference. On the contrary, at least I'm home 3 nites a week, as compared to me being absent from home altogether as was the case the last few years. Yet, I guess it is a very valid concern - and I am something baffled by how some of my colleagues sustain a family life, and I am rarely surprised to hear of marriage counselling or relationship problems considering the absences and uncertainties of the job. But when I look around, its not just my job which is like that loh... many others also work like that loh. Even those who are studying are like that loh... haha... sigh... see, its not just me that has little time, but people also seem to have no time...
This weekend is going to be quite an interesting one. Going to be part of a military wedding tmr, which is the first time I am attending one. and on sunday, I finally can make it for a family lunch for my bro's bdae. What shall I do tonite? hmm... haha... that involves another set of statistics.. haha...
I guess, I am still trying to find that balance within myself, of on the one hand enjoying my work which I am seemingly increasingly doing so and also trying to keep it so, yet on the other hand sustain (or maybe to build would be a better word to use) a life involving not just work but also people who care for me and whom I care for. In some sense, is it even human to expect oneself to be able to achieve this balance, and yet on the other, is one even human if one fails to do so? hmm...
Been back in Singapore for abt 7 weekends already, and apart from 2 weekends which I sailed, the other weekends were always filled with things to do and packed with time spent with my frens and family. Never before in my memory, has my weekends been so productive, than in the last 7 weeks. Productive not neccessarily in the sense that I met everyone whom I want to meet, or spent time with everyone whom I should, but its probably has not been any better in the past.
HX asked me whether my parents were alright with my periodic absence from home, where I am home only abt 3 nites a week, and well, I don't think my parents feel much difference. On the contrary, at least I'm home 3 nites a week, as compared to me being absent from home altogether as was the case the last few years. Yet, I guess it is a very valid concern - and I am something baffled by how some of my colleagues sustain a family life, and I am rarely surprised to hear of marriage counselling or relationship problems considering the absences and uncertainties of the job. But when I look around, its not just my job which is like that loh... many others also work like that loh. Even those who are studying are like that loh... haha... sigh... see, its not just me that has little time, but people also seem to have no time...
This weekend is going to be quite an interesting one. Going to be part of a military wedding tmr, which is the first time I am attending one. and on sunday, I finally can make it for a family lunch for my bro's bdae. What shall I do tonite? hmm... haha... that involves another set of statistics.. haha...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home