Monday, October 24, 2005

Singapore civic district

After spending the whole day walking around the civic district of Singapore, I realized, that many things have changed, and changed for the better. I guess, its better late than never, though, it still puzzles me how some things could be so late.

A great job has been done to the Old Parliament House from last year, but the renovations to the Hill Street Entrance to Fort Canning Hill is also very well done (the exhibitis were good as well). Another wonderfully done restoration, is the two projects at Telok Ayer Street, and the MICA bldg. If there is any lessons others should learn, its certainly from these.

The best mistake made right, would be the current works on Clarke Quay. Not only are they finally realizing that you really should consider covering the walkways, you should also try to attract businesses (especially creative sectors) into the area. Glad to see Saatchi and Saatchi, but I think the balance is still to heavy towards the entertainment sector. I think Clarke Quay is also benefitting from the relaxed URA rules (which were originally ridiculously rigid), and it does look a lot better now then it was.

A really tired and long day, but it was enriching nonetheless. Hopefully, the thing will be approved and they will like it.

Tomorrow is another day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home