Caution in Marina Bayfront IR proposals
Another thought from some weeks ago.
-----------------------------
While I am strongly in favour of a vibrant bay-front and bright sky-line, I was slightly disturbed by the picture of what the bayfront may look like with the new Integrated Resort (IR), published on 20th May in The Straits Times. While there remains much uncertainty over the eventual outcome on any proposal on the Marina Bayfront, I believe there are two issues that there we have to be cautious in considering any IR proposals for the Marina Bayfront site.
Firstly, we need to carefully weigh the impact of the IR on our bay-front and sky-line, as this will be a long-term feature of our cityscape. Secondly we need to include the appreciation in the value of the land which the IR will occupy into considerations of land-lease terms, as the land at the Marina Bayfront is prime-land situated next to the financial district.
I am not privy to information regarding the proposals, but based on information in the press, such issues seems to be largely neglected. These are question which do not have easy answers, but given that an IR will be a large and permanent feature, it is only reasonable that such issues are carefully considered early rather than late.
-----------------------------
While I am strongly in favour of a vibrant bay-front and bright sky-line, I was slightly disturbed by the picture of what the bayfront may look like with the new Integrated Resort (IR), published on 20th May in The Straits Times. While there remains much uncertainty over the eventual outcome on any proposal on the Marina Bayfront, I believe there are two issues that there we have to be cautious in considering any IR proposals for the Marina Bayfront site.
Firstly, we need to carefully weigh the impact of the IR on our bay-front and sky-line, as this will be a long-term feature of our cityscape. Secondly we need to include the appreciation in the value of the land which the IR will occupy into considerations of land-lease terms, as the land at the Marina Bayfront is prime-land situated next to the financial district.
I am not privy to information regarding the proposals, but based on information in the press, such issues seems to be largely neglected. These are question which do not have easy answers, but given that an IR will be a large and permanent feature, it is only reasonable that such issues are carefully considered early rather than late.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home