Friday, May 20, 2005

Portugal - many pasteis

Intended to blog back, using the e-mail function... but since there were no internet within easy access, decided to avoid the internet altogether... haha.. and ended up with a huge backlog of mail to clear... haha.. but well...

Portugal was absolutely wonderful... just as I was told by Maria's fren in Lisbao, nice weather, nice beaches, nice people, nice wine, nice food, lots of nice women, lots of nice men... haha.. and the list goes on. Offered me a job to work in Lisbao even.. haha... will see how that goes... but before Lisboa, Oporto.

Oporto is simply amazing. Sited along the lower reaches of the Duoro valley, it is one of the most interesting city I have ever been. Although much of the historic district is falling apart, the beauty of portugal is perhaps, that 1) the buildings are falling apart slowly and nicely, such that they look old, but not bad 2) they are very very real, because people live there, and all kinds of day to day shops operate in them. Its not like in Singapore, where places like Chinatown is nearly 100% fake, or in places like Nice, where everything is so commercialized, or like in Athens, where its just too modern and cold. In Oporto, everything is just right, the right oldness, the right mix of people, the right mix of activities, nothing in extreme. Slow and nice, and I think that gives it a very nice feeling. It feels historic and authentic. That I am referring to Ribero.

Across the river from Ribero is the district of Gaia. Every fan of Port Wine, must in their life time, make the pilgrimage, to visit the Port Wine Cellars. In London shops you usually only see brands like Taylor's, Cockburn, Warre's, Graham, but there are so many many more, like Crofts, Churchill's, Offley's, Sanderman (considered one of the best), Delaforce etc etc... (will see it in the photo which should go up soon) And its absolutely beautiful too.

Guimaraes is another wonderful place. Historically authentic. A wonderful place to really understand, an alternative to the way the urban can change. No one is saying that change should not happen, the question is how it happens. In Guimaraes, you can find modern buildings standing next to historical buildings, or contemporary activities alongside traditional ones, and one does not really feel out of place. Very very cool, very very inspirational.

Lisbao is wonderful. Very very much tks to Maria. We had lots of fun, eating, drinking, talking about food, cooking etc... haha... very very cool. And Matilde brought me to listen to Fado, which is a form of music from Lisbao... which was nice, but it's a pity i could not understand portuguese. Matilde was lovely, charming, witty, smart, beautiful... gosh... what else can one ask for in women... haha...

Talked to Joao about conservation, and it was very very interesting, when he told me that, when you keep the facade and demolish everything behind, that is not conservation. I mean, thet's quite true isn't it? haha... and that cost so much more. It cost money, and yet, its not conservation... haha.. something we should all start thinking about! Anyway, this trip to Portugal made me realize many many thing about myself, and in particular, how my 3yrs+ in London have shaped the way I come to understand and expect in urban change.

Today, I give far greater value to the idea of conservation, I appreciate features of the old better, and is much much less in favour of large, cold, super-modern buildings like those of Canary Wharf. I am not against them, but I am less likely to jump to a quick conclusion, that they are the sole representative of a future city. A future city has to have all bits of things, bits old and new, for that is what gives the city a real human feel, and a real sense of vibrancy and diversity. I still like the idea of shopping malls, but its how it should be done. LIke those I have been researching, I believe in change, but the change must be appropriate. Don't create another Singapore Chinatown, or Clark Quay... sigh.... (clark quay is a bit better, the problem is different).

Learnt a bit of portugese... though most of the terms are about food... haha.. Brought back from Pasteis de Belem for my wonderful hsemates... (ok, its not Portugese egg tarts) (refer: http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt/index.htm)

Although I was reccomended Portugal, never thought I would make it there so soon, but its just absolutely wonderful. Great country, even greater company. I guess such things don't come that often in life yah? haha...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home