Chinatown - Harvey_Lefebvre
Been some time since I last wrote anything. Well, the last few weeks have been so terrible busy, but has been very enriching too (almost forgot that I have not watched the last episode of West Wing and JAG). After working on many US papers on Chinatown since 1950s, as well as working on South African public service provision, and HKG and SIN housing issues, the last few days were by far the most unique. Met some very helpful people from Westminster Council and from Chinatown, who allowed me to get a much better insight into how they function. But I guess what I have been most happy about the last few days must be when Andy suggested that I should really think about doing a PhD, not sure whether he was referring to himself or LSE though, but well I do feel rather honoured.
The Chinatown meeting was really interesting, and although there were some tensions over differences caused by a recent redevelopment project (which till today many know very little about what is going to happen), it was really quite nice to meet a group of people who are affecting everyday life, who holds such strong belief, enthusiam, and the willingness to make things happen. I guess when you have so many people who are like that, clashes are not always a bad thing, but it can be pretty hard to resolve too.
Two people recently asked me about my GF, and seriously, I find myself entering a quagmire, in which I am not sure what is the next step to take, and there is no clear exit strategy. Perhaps I am not even certain whether an exit strategy is what I seek, yet, it is clear to me that while I feel much indebted to her the relationship is not something I seek. Maybe XM is right to say that I am not that prepared for a relationship, but maybe it is not just a one person thing and is the lack of the right chemistry. In a way, I still wonder what SL and SY saw and felt in believing that it was possible, but I guess that is a question which I will never know.
Back on work then. Andy suggested on doing a conversation between Harvey and Lefebvre, and it does sound very interesting. I guess he is slightly perplexed by my insistence on a very theoretical interest, and yet wanting a very empirical study. I guess most people would focus on either and not so much on both. In a way, I think maybe it was from here that he sensed that I was not against the idea of a PhD, but the timing is something I am very concerned with. I guess people who want to work will do something more empirical, and someone who wants an academic career will focus on theory, yet, I guess as I learn from a debate late year between Nikolas Rose and others, it is neccessary to follow on Foucault's approach, to fully integrate theoretical developments and empirical evidence, which at times Harvey's grand scheme of things seem to be overly based on somewhat anaecdotal evidences. Well, will see how that all goes.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home